Came across this “interesting” personals on the local Craigslist:
The biggest challenge I have faced in life is finding company and ways to do things which I desire. Not everything is as much fun alone otherwise Adam and Eve could very well have been created of the same kind.
I am 26, grad student, 5’11, brown eyes, black hair, decent, ever smiling, inquisitive. Would not label myself as glass breaking looks but surely smart looks. As a person I am creative and surely intelligent. I enjoy movies, music, cooking, writing, poetry, reading, interesting conversations, travel, dreaming, sleeping, sports, photography, silence, emotions, occasional partying, blah blah. I love going out for walks, food or even to sit in the library with coffee. I am good with most things related to a computer. Haven’t been clubbing for long. I am easy going, peaceful, something between an extrovert and introvert, humorous, philosophical and friendly. I am the types who would go to a concert on the eve of an exam or could be awake for an entire night discussing world peace or which country has the hottest girls. I have missed entire semester of classes and still got an A. I have written 40 page love letters and chatted online 12 hours non stop. I am the kind who could dance the night away or sleep for 24 hours at a stretch. Nothing about me is deterministic and that is even an enigma for myself. As a person I have always lived maverick – my ways, my style and my choices.
I am only looking for friends or activity partners. I can be a great dependable friend and thats all I need. If you have different taste in music, have different choice of movies, drinks, places, culture, fashion, food and style – even better since it might turn out to be new and exciting to share and explore. As I said you should be different from the rest and confident about that. If you are special, you would be treasured. I believe there is always someone better than us and always someone worse but no one as unique as who we are.
I would love to play sports or go to a movie or share music, hang out for a coffee or meal, sit and have interesting conversations, go for a outing, for photography. We can listen to music together. We can be bored together, we can smile together. I don’t mind going shopping and have a classy taste. Probably we can play tennis or go for a swim. Probably you want to start gymming, so do I. Maybe we can share some stories about our lives and places we have been. I am interested in learning to play Guitar or dance. Maybe visit NY or CA or Greece or Switzerland sometime in the summer. I can teach you anything about computers and you can teach me something else. Maybe just interact on email or maybe just meet or maybe something else. I don’t know. There are too many choices.
My only expectation from you would be to find a kindred mind and a smart personality, rest all is relatively inconsequential.
BTW, I am not American. I am from India. Does this disappoint you? Well, sorry to waste your time.
Now, since I had spare time on my hands, I began to analyze the person behind the post. This is what I concluded:
- He’s not fat or “weight challenged”.
- He has trouble finding friends even though he’s not an introvert — he could be an extremely unreliable/selfish person.
- He writes 40 page love letters — he is pretty obsessive/stalkerish, or is easily infatuated.
- He has tried Craigslist to meet women before, but failed, and attributes this failure to his being an Indian.
Now, this is what the female friend of an accomplice had to say about it:
- “I am afraid of him”.
- “He has written 40 page love letters than sticks in female’s minds as slightly obsessive stalkerish”.
- “What the heck do you write for 40 pages? unless you have issues”.
- “and he is Indian but only interested in American girls? hmmmm”.
- “its the same as people who are close-minded and only date within their own race”…”yet even more odd….because they are only interested in one race and it isn’t even their own”…”or in his case culture more than race”.
- “yeah but even more odd…so a russian girl that is studying…she is off limits….just sounds odd to limit yourself”.
- “maybe he wants his green card”.
I gave the guy the benefit of doubt and take it that he simply meant ‘Girls of America’, but for some reason the accomplice’s friend wasn’t willing to give him such a discount with words.
In any case, can I now say that I understand women?